With the crisp, cozy, cinnamon-spiced season of Fall just around the corner, what better way to usher in the season than with a day of apple picking at a local farm? This month, farms all over the country open up their orchards to give us cityfolk the opportunity to stroll beneath their leafy canopies, heavy with crimson and golden fruits; to fill our bushels and baskets to the brim; to share the bounty with our friends and neighbors, the smell of flaky pies and tender dumplings wafting from our kitchen windows...
For those on the Monterey Peninsula, the place to visit is Gizdich Ranch located at 55 Peckham Road in Watsonville. From 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily you can pick Golden Delicious, Red Delicious and Pippin apples for just $1.35/pound. Bring your own boxes or baskets, a picnic lunch and enjoy a memorable day with the family.
Try one of our favorite family apple recipes
ALL DAY APPLE BUTTER
(it's absolutely divine over vanilla ice-cream ~ like a warm apple pie sundae!)
- 5 1/2 POUNDS APPLES, PEELED, CORED, AND FINELY CHOPPED
- 4 CUPS GRANULATED SUGAR
- 2 TEASPOONS GROUND CINNAMON
- 1/4 TEASPOON GROUND CLOVES
- 1/4 TEASPOON SALT
1. Place apples in a crock-pot.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
3. Pour mixture over the apples in the crock-pot and mix well.
4. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
5. Reduce heat to low and cook 9-11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
6. Uncover and continue cooking on low for an additional hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
7. Spoon mixture into sterile jars, cover and refrigerate or freeze.