Every year I like to try a new side-dish recipe at our holiday feasts, but there are some classics that are always a tradition on our family table. One such favorite is my cousin's TOASTED PECAN SWEET POTATOES. The recipe couldn't be simpler, and it's not unusual to find a relative hovering over the casserole dish with a guilty spoon in hand even after the meal is through. Enjoy!
TOASTED PECAN SWEET POTATOES
(makes one 9x9 casserole)
- 1 29 oz. can sliced sweet potatoes (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat the inside of a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- With an electric mixer, beat the first 6 ingredients until smooth. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Prepare the topping by combining all the ingredients in a medium bowl to form a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle on top of the creamy yams.
- Bake uncovered on center rack in oven for 25-30 minutes until browned on top.
- Cover lightly with foil if the topping begins to brown too quickly.
Here are some of my family's other favorites:
DO YOU HAVE A FAMILY FAVORITE SIDE DISH RECIPE THAT YOU'D LIKE TO SHARE? PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LINK UP THE URL BELOW.