CONFESSION #1: In August, my trusty Panasonic Lumix camera broke, and I've been making do with the camera on my iPhone ever since. So, if you've noticed the photography to be a bit lacking lately, now you know why.
CONFESSION #2: For a chance to win a new Cannon Rebel Camera, I'm willing to admit and "out" my entire family with the story of how we all at pie off of the kitchen floor.
When I read about Clorox's Bleach It Away Campaign and the giveaway going on with The SITS Girls, I decide to throw shame and caution to the wind and share my family's sordid Pie-On-the-Floor story.
The SITS Girls said: "Spending time with friends and family can lead to fun and memorable moments, but also some very messy ones. Tell us about the messiest moments that you’ll always remember!"
About ten years ago, I called upon members of my family for their favorite family recipes and stories. I had the book printed and bound and gave a copy to everyone as a Christmas gift. One of my most favorite (yet most embarrassing) stories came from my brother. This story recounts the time when we ate pie off of our mom's kitchen floor, and thankfully lived to tell the tale.
Here is my brother's story. I love the way he writes. I hope you get a kick out of it too, and won't think any less of me now that you know my dirty little pie-grubbin' secret.
|Even Jack Horner had more sense.|
"After a nostalgic day of berry picking at a local farm, we headed back to the fortress in Pebble Beach Shire. Ahead of us was a festive night of berry smooshing, mixing and baking. Oh yes, and we shant forget...jelly manufacturing.
Shredded...thin as a sheet of cheap newsprint...raggedy and disintegrating - THE POT HOLDER was worthless. Regardless, the night of pie building went on.
As we neared the end of the night, our pie began to come to life within the oven. Mom ran to the oven with THE POT HOLDER. She threw the oven door down, reached in the scalding oven and pulled out a beautifully bubbling pie, rushing it to the counter to cool. Yet, somewhere between the oven and counter (a mere four feet) something went terribly wrong. The heat of the pie shot right through the pot holder and burned Mom's hand. She let out a banshee screech as her hand made an acrobatic flip, sending the pie flying; SPLAT, SPLASH, SIZZLE!
There in the center of the kitchen floor was a smoldering hot, freshly baked berry pie. What to do? Instead of doing what most sensible people would do, us ravenous teens opted for forks over towels. Oh yeah, we just dug right in to that floor pie. As we salvaged the pie, Mom laughed nervously and warned us that the floor was filthy; no safer than licking the lid of a barrel of toxic waste. But there was no way we would let this pie die in vain. We ate that pie till the floor was at last clean (with a little help in the end from our dog).
Over all, the night was still a success. We made pie and jam and one great mess. Regardless, we were all able to sample one of the freshest pies ever. Not one of us got sick and the floor survived the thermonuclear heat. A true kitchen disaster story (with a happy ending)!"
I received information about Clorox’s Bleach It Away campaign and am sharing my messy moment for the chance to win prizes from The SITS Girls. To learn more about the messy moment program, check out www.BleachItAway.com. Sharing your story on the Clorox fan page gets you entered for the chance to win $25,000 and daily prizes, and you can grab a coupon for Clorox® Regular Bleach.
Pin It Now!