Apple butter is wonderful on biscuits, warm toast and buttery scones. But have you tried it on vanilla ice cream? When served in a pie crust bowl, you have an elegantly deconstructed apple pie! A little sprinkle of flaky sea salt puts this simple, yet sophisticated dessert over the top.
Apple Pie Sundaes in Pie Crust Bowls
- Premium Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Overnight Apple Butter with Bourbon & Vanilla Bean (recipe HERE) or your own
- Store bought or homemade pie crust
- Regular size muffin tin
- Cinnamon sugar
- Flaky sea salt (like Fleur de Sel)
To make the pie crust bowls:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll pie dough out to 1/8" thick. Use the rim of a drinking glass or biscuit cutter to cut into 3/5" - 4" rounds.
2. Flip muffin tin over. Form dough circles around each muffin cup. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 7-8 minutes, until golden brown.
3. Remove crusts from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
To make the sundaes:
Place a large scoop of vanilla ice cream inside the pie crust bowl. Top with apple butter. Sprinkle with just a pinch of sea salt.